Monday, February 16, 2009

Mungalli Creek Dairy: Great Lunch in the Atherton Tablelands



If you are in Northern Queensland, I highly recommend stopping for lunch at the Mungalli Creek Dairy outside Millaa Millaa in the Atherton Tablelands region. We received several recommendations for the dairy while we were up in Cooktown so we decided to check it out on our way back to southern Queensland. The dairy and cafe was a bit smaller than I had imagined, but the food was excellent. They offer an array of delicious choices featuring their dairy products that is definitely worth a drive off the beaten path. Be sure to start with a free sampler cheese plate!


The Atherton Tablelands are worth a visit even without the dairy. It is a beautiful, lush green region of farmland and rainforests not far from Cairns known for a large number of beautiful waterfalls. The Tablelands elevation also offer visitors to northern Queensland a bit of relief from the tropical balminess of the coast as the weather is typically a few degrees cooler.

On all my previous trips to the area I had heard that the Atherton Tablelands were worth a visit, but I like so many visitors was so focused on the Great Barrier Reef and going up to the Daintree Rainforest that I never took the time to visit the Tablelands until this past December. Even on that trip I just budgeted enough time to drive through the region and have lunch at the dairy. Now I definitely want to go back and explore the Tablelands further. I would definitely recommend the Atherton Tablelands as a good daytrip from Cairns or even for a night or two.

On my next visit I would like to check out The Canopy Rainforest Treehouses and Wildlife Sanctuary for a couple of nights. I have only seen brochures and their website, but it looks like an excellent place to stay!

No comments: